Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Time and Space?

Are these two words that are really related? Time and space. Hmmm....
Well, I have to say that I am a bit of a science-fiction fan, my favorite sci-fi series being Dr. Who. I am sure a lot of people do not know what that is or are just learning about it since it's gaining popularity since the new series is airing on Sci-Fi Channel and also public television. This show deals with time and space. The Dr., with his faithful companion travels through time, to different galaxies and planets to right what has been done wrong.
Very profound.
Now, if I am not mistaking, space has no time. But, from all the shows I watch so I can geek out on nerdy things, is space the secret to controlling time?
I would believe so, if what I am watching is the truth. But I have to remember the key word in all this, "fiction".
Truth, it is said, to be sometimes stranger than fiction. Yeah, I can agree with this. But how strange is it to believe that space holds all the secrets we want to know so badly. I mean, it keeps many of us wondering and wanting more.
We, as a whole, or as the people that do not work for NASA or any other space program that can understand the planet earth is just a speck in the matter of existence, feel large, so to say. We dream, and sometimes believe we see, alien life forms or UFO's causing us to believe in something more than what is on this "safe" planet of ours.
In a world that is never-ending we are nothing. BUT, in a universe that is infinite, we are most definitely nothing. Isn't that AWESOME!!!
We are nothing! No matter what we do, it really does not matter. Well, it matters to ourselves and the people that love us, but to no one else.
We can look on through our little peepholes to judge and comment on the worlds events and act like it affects something. But, GOD, if you believe, created so much more than me and you. He created an ever changing, ever growing infinite existence that is so oblivious to what is really happening.
Isn't that cool??
We have no clue!
Bright Eyes, an Indie Rock band wrote a song, which I like a lot, entitled "At The Bottom Of Everything". One of the best lines in the song says "I'm happy just because, I found I am really no one".
How perfect.
This planet earth would be so much better off if that line was adhered to.
Too many people are walking around acting like they actually mean something. But you know what? In our lives they do mean something. We give them titles like Leader of the free world, Most powerful man in the world, and we listen to them like kids in a classroom because we voted them into office. Our votes can never be cast in error.
All I have to say for myself is, LOVE ME! No matter how wrong I am, just love me. I know one thing that is true, in the matter of time and space, I am no one.
I am so happy knowing that
But, I have to end on this note. Knowing this to be true, I do not believe I am able to go out and do whatever it is I want, right or wrong. There are consequences for every ones actions. Remember, the person that matters the most to you is yourself. You may be no one in the grand scheme of things, but you are still someone on a small scale. Kind of like a model railroad in a basement. Played with to the fullest extent until you served your purpose.
So, make your purpose worth while, and make it known as far as you are able to scream. Someone is bound to hear you.
Who knows, maybe one day, some alien life form on another planet will have ears big enough to understand loud and clear just what it is you are yelling about.
Ever see the movie "Galaxy Quest"?
It could happen.

"You're a footnote in the history of failure!"
-Dr. Who-

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, and welcome to the wonderful world that is FJK! Greetings friend! This post touches on all kinds of topics that would take a full night of open ears and open bottles but I'll see what I can add in this brief intermission...

Recently I was able to marvel at all the artifacts that William Randolph Hearst amassed and put on display in his "Ranch House" in San Simeon, Ca. Listening to a tour guide mention how tapestries were from the 14 and 15 centuries was cool and amazing. What really blew my hair back was seeing columns that dated back to the period of Jesus' lifetime. UNREAL! But in the grand scheme of material things what do all those recent artifacts mean? Not a whole lot. It's the importance WE place on them. Afterall weren't the dinosaurs on the earth for millions of years as opposed to thousands like us? And with the dinosaurs (for all intents and purposes) long gone what would that say about our importance, our mark, our meaning?
"Global warming" has become a catch phrase thrown around a lot and used by politicians to warn or surpress fears of what IS or ISN'T happening. But either way you look at it if it happens tomorrow or a thousand years from now the fact is is that the earth goes thru it's cycles of hot and cold and will one day be mostly cold. In a sense, we're just a blip (many would agree and say a significant one) on the barometer of earthly events.

This being a broad conversation with all kinds of angles I'll leave with lyrics of a song I dig that might touch on a different theme or two.



naked lovers feel the blood beneath their veins
electric nerves communicate
with tiny explosions through our brains
who is this energy that never left or came?
give rise to passion the only glory
of this human story

I give my heart and soul to the one

we spend all of our lives goin' out of our minds
looking back to our birth, forward to our demise
even scientists say, everything is just light
not created, destroyed but eternally bright
masters in everytime lord in everyplace
those who stood up for love down in spite of the hate
in spite of the hate

who put the flower in the barrel of that gun?
who lit the candle that started the fire,
burnt down the fortress, the throne?
who could house all the refugees in a single shack
or a lowly bungalow?
who lives in a different dimension, free from the
struggles we know?

I give my heart and soul to the one

we spend all of our lives goin' out of our minds
looking back to our birth, forward to our demise
even scientists say, everything is just light
not created, destroyed but eternally bright
masters in everytime lord in everyplace
those who stood up for love down in spite of the hate
we spend all of our lives goin' out of our minds
they live in the light

we made it to the moon
but we can't make it home
waitin' on a rescue that never comes
made it to the moon
but we can't make it home
maybe home is where the heart is given up
to the one
to the one

we spend all of our lives goin' out of our minds
lookin' back to our birth, forward to our demise
we spend all of our lives goin' out of our minds
they live, they

they stood up for love
stood up for love
stood up for love
they stood up for love
stood up for love
stood up for love

we spend all of our lives goin' out of our minds
masters in everytime
we spend all of our lives goin' out of our minds
stood up for love

Frank said...

Welcome, my friend, to the world of good old FJK.
Thanks for posting.