Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Go Get 'Em, Tiger


On Sunday, September 9, I found myself at the final round of the PGA BMW golf tournament. Surprisingly, it was a better time than I had thought. I am a fan of golf, and I will watch on the television the numerous tournaments that are played throughout the year, but only for short amounts of time.
There I was, following the great Tiger Woods. I was part of his entourage from the time he teed off at 12:50 PM central standard time until he finished just a little after 5:00 PM.
It was spectacular.
He stood on the tees and in the fairways and on the greens like a larger than life superstar that was awaiting his ship to bring him back to his home of greatness.
I was stunned, my mouth hung open and my excitement level rising as I watched from hundreds of feet away. I was like a child trying to catch a glimpse of Mickey Mouse in the middle of a bunch of Goofy's.
Leave it to Tiger, though, he did not disappoint. A spectacular round of eight under par won him the tournament and if I am not mistaken, also gave him a course record.
Awesome.
I wandered from hole to hole, following the polo shirt and khaki wearing crowd as we amazed at his, well to put it simply, amazed at his ability to be so damn good.
I was sceptical about going. I mean how much fun could one have travelling a golf course watching other men play golf. I mean, at times watching it on the television is like watching grass grow. But, my scepticism was put to rest the moment I saw Tiger set for a shot in the middle of the fairway. I felt as if I was watching a mythical figure such as Babe Ruth point toward the center field wall calling his shot.
Not even the gallery caddy's were able to ruin my good time. I am usually quick to be annoyed by larger crowds because of the fact that every crowd is filled with at least half of people that are only there to draw attention to themselves by breaking the needed silence with foolish statements like "IT'S IN THE HOLE" or "WE LOVE YOU TIGER" or one of my favorite unoriginal statements, "TIGER, YOU'RE THE MAN".
Oddly enough, I found myself looking on from green to green, hoping and praying for a birdie or maybe even an eagle. I was looking for that signature fist pump, which I was able to see on a hole where he sunk a thirty foot putt for birdie.
I was as pumped as Tiger seemed to be.
So, to sum it all up, I seemed to have found my new hero. I seemed to have found my larger than life sports icon that makes my heart beat faster and my motivation sky rocket.
It's Tiger Woods.
Yes, I can honestly say, he is the most exhilarating sportsman of our time.

1 comment:

Romeo Morningwood said...

I marvel at how Golf has become an acceptable spectator sport. This transition from being a game for old farts to media darling can only be explained by demographics.

I am in the middle of the Boomer pack (b.'57) and back in the 70s sociologists warned us that in the future we would stop watching downhill skiing and hockey and start concentrating on sports that we ourselves could actually participate in...they were right!

Golf is the perfect medium for whatever athleticism remains in the body of middle aged men. Tiger is a feel good guy with impulse control who has managed to stay out of the headlines and eschew dog fighting and DUIs. He is THE advertiser's wetdream!

I fear that the Happy Gilmore Fan will emerge and do stupid things on the course during televised events to get on YouTube.
Cross your fingers.